What is the drug and what is it used for
The active substance of the drug doxycycline is doxycycline – an antibiotic from the group of tetracyclines. It is used to treat the following infections:
• respiratory tract infections such as pneumonia, bronchitis, inflammation of the mucous membrane of the paranasal sinuses (sinusitis);
• urinary tract infections such as inflammation of the bladder, inflammation of the urethra;
• eye infections;
• sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydial infection;
• fever caused by flea or tick bites;
• malaria, with the ineffectiveness of chloroquine.
Doxycycline is also used to prevent certain infections such as Japanese river fever, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, travelers’ diarrhea, malaria, and leptospirosis.
Your doctor may also prescribe doxycycline to treat an infection not on this list. You may also be prescribed an additional drug along with doxycycline. Contact your doctor if your condition does not improve or continues to worsen.
Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to doxycycline, other tetracycline antibiotics, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine listed in the Composition section.
Special instructions and precautions
Talk to your doctor before using Doxycycline if:
• You may be exposed to sunlight or ultraviolet light (eg in a solarium). Avoid exposure to sunlight during treatment with Doxycycline, as skin sensitivity to sunburn may increase;
• you have kidney or liver problems;
• You suffer from myasthenia gravis;
• You have porphyria (a rare blood disorder);
• you have been diagnosed with systemic lupus erythematosus. The use of doxycycline can lead to an aggravation of the symptoms of this disease;
• you have or usually have diarrhea while taking antibiotics or have stomach or intestinal problems.
Mode of application
Doxycycline should be taken by mouth. Swallow the capsule whole (to prevent irritation of the esophagus) with plenty of liquid. Doxycycline can be taken with or after meals. If the drug causes irritation of the esophagus, take it with food or milk. Try to take the drug at the same time every day.
Showing the single result